Sunday 10 February 2013

Between Houston and Brown... the drug, facts, drama


As fans of Whitney Houston (August 9, 1963 - February 11, 2012) remember the late diva, her drug-riddled life, which eventually led to her death would be better understood and perhaps, becomes less an issue that had, over the decades, implicated the artiste’s ex-husband, Bobby Brown.

Brown, had for a greater part of Houston’s career, been fingered as the person who dragged her into cocaine. But Brown’s autobiography Bobby Brown: The Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing But, published in 2008 as well as a recent disclosure by Houston’s brother suggested that she was, perhaps, already a drug addict before meeting Brown.
Whitney died in Beverly Hills last year after a drug binge said to have included cocaine, Xanax and marijuana.
On Oprah Winfrey’s show, few weeks ago, Whitney’s brother, Michael Houston said he introduced the singer to cocaine back in the 1980s. 

Michael was on the show with his mother Cissy Houston. He said: "You gotta understand at the time ... the 80s ... it was acceptable."
 

Whiney Houston and Bobby Brown

His mother added "It’s painful ... I feel responsible for what I let go so far."

 

Oprah’s Next

In Bobby Brown: The Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing But, he writes: “I never used cocaine until after I met Whitney. Before then, I had experimented with other drugs, but marijuana was my drug of choice.”  He added: “At one point in my life, I used drugs uncontrollably. I was using everything I could get my hands on, from cocaine to heroin, weed and cooked cocaine.”

A year after Brown’s book, Houston explained her drug life on
The Oprah Winfrey Show: "I had so much money and so much access to what I wanted," Houston told Winfrey. "I didn't think about the singing part anymore. I was looking for my young womanhood."

On the couple’s marital life, Whitney disclosed one of the dramas when she said "he slapped me once but he got hit on the head three times by me."
  Whitney however commended Brown for being “very much the father, he was very much the man, very much in control. I liked that. When he said something, I listened. I was very interested in having someone have that kind of control over me. It was refreshing."
She recalled that her drug life increased after the 1992 movie The Bodyguard.

The couple married in 1992 and divorced in 2007. During their marriage, Brown was arrested on drug and alcohol charges, while Houston was twice under drug rehabilitation programs.
  Tajudeen Sowole with Agency reports. 

No comments:

Post a Comment