Friday 6 December 2013

Shonibare gives back to lift Disability of arts


Renowned Nigerian-born British artist, Yinka Shonibare MBE, has assisted  in a fundraising for disabled artists.

A report from the U.K says the artist has partnered with patron for Shape the disability-led arts organisation in a venture tagged Championing the Shape Christmas appeal for 2013. 


 
Yinka Shonibare MBE

In collaboration with Shape media partners ‘Disability Arts Online’, the artist is creating awareness about the life-changing work that Shape does in effort to make the arts accessible across everyone.

Shonibare who is also physically challenged is asking people to donate whatever they can to help reach a target of £40,000 during the xmas and new year. It is hoped that the donation "will automatically be doubled by the Catalyst Arts Match Fund run by the Arts Council".
 

Shonibare stated: “My career in the arts started with Shape. When I left Goldsmith’s College, I was looking for opportunities to develop my career. Shape offered me my first opportunity to be involved in the arts. What Shape does for disabled artists can make a very big impact on their development. It was certainly the case for me. For that, I’m very grateful.”

Shonibare started working at Shape in 1992 – since working at Shape he moved on to achieve some incredible things. Most note able of his works is a public art commission on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square in 2010, known as 'Nelson's Ship in a Bottle'. This year,  was elected Royal Academician by the Royal Academy of Arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment